Hose & Belt Fabricator APACHE
Apache, Inc. is a division of Motion Industries.
This position safely and effectively slits, laces, fabricates and splices conveyor belting of various weights; assembles and tests a variety of hoses; and makes die cut parts in a manner that ensures all products meet quality and visual standards. As a valuable member of a small production team, this position will also fill and package orders and ship and receive product.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Read and interpret work orders and drawings to:
- Understand how to cut regular and step cut rolls per cut sheet provided.
- Operate large slitters to accurately slit belts to the desired width and length holding proper tolerances.
- Setup and operate rotary slitters to cut narrower width belts.
- Hand slit belts as needed.
- Square ends of belt and cut belts to proper length for further processing.
- Understand various types of lacing.
- Install all types of lacing using the proper machines and hand tools.
- Ensure that belts are within tolerance when laced.
- Understand various types of splicing (e.g. finger, skive, step, butt) and which type of splice is appropriate for the different types of belts.
- Prepare the belt for splicing (i.e. square, strip and step) so the finished belt is the correct length.
- Fill belt ends with adhesive, tie gum and cloth.
- Secure the splice thoroughly through vulcanization or cold bonding including setup of presses.
WELD AND FABRICATE BELT
- Understand which glues and cleaners to use for the type of belt and application being used.
- Prepare and layout the belt for applying v-guides, cleats and sidewall.
- Setup, adjust and operate different welding machines.
- Weld v-guide using a hand gun as needed.
MAKE DIE CUT PARTS
- Understand dies, punches and their uses to appropriately select them.
- Setup and operate clicker press to cut and punch parts.
- Make minor repairs to dies and die boards as needed.
- Understand various types of hose and their uses.
- Measure, cut, couple and coil hoses to customer specifications.
- Test hoses for specifications including conducting burst test certifications.
- Operate hose crimping/coupling equipment to proper standards.
Inspect belts and hoses to ensure they meet quality standards.
Close out orders in the computer system.
Wrap completed belts and hoses and prepare them for shipment.
Assist with inventory control by reporting any discrepancies between amounts used and amounts assigned on the work order. Also, report any discrepancy in remaining width and lengths of belts to be returned to inventory.
Unload and inspect all received material for quality and accuracy and report issues to Operations Manager.
Label incoming material with part numbers and put away in assigned location.
Process small parcel shipments.
Load product for LTL shipments.
Be aware of all safety policies and practices. Report any unsafe situations or actions immediately.
Attend safety, training and other informational meetings.
Maintain a clean, organized work area.
Perform basic upkeep on equipment and tools.
Attend work regularly and predictably and uphold Company values in all work aspects.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High School diploma/equivalent and a minimum of 24 months of relevant production experience for sufficient knowledge to perform industrial math and measuring (e.g. calipers) and to set up, operate and adjust various machines and equipment. Apache production experience of 36 months is highly preferred.
Skills and Abilities
This position requires adaptability in switching work activities frequently, strong teamwork and desire for technical expertise. Must be able to set up and operate mechanical equipment as well as use power tools and hand tools safely. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in main units of measure, using whole numbers, common fraction, and decimals. Ability to determine and mark angle degrees needed for correct finished product. Skills include active listening, effective verbal and written communicating, quality control assessing and basic computer operation. A forklift license is required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will utilize all required personal protective equipment and will regularly work in hot, slightly noisy conditions where material particles from grinding and other operations may occasionally be present.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, use his/her hands with strength, coordination and precision and see details at close range. The employee is occasionally required to bend, reach, push, pull, climb, talk and hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move 11- 50 pounds and infrequently lift up to 75 pounds.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. Apache Inc. reserves the right to change, amend, add, delete and otherwise assign any and all duties, responsibilities and position titles as it deems necessary to meet the needs of the business.
GPC believes the fair and equitable treatment of employees, customers, suppliers and other persons is critical to fulfilling its vision and goals. GPC conducts its business without regard to sex, race, creed, color, religion, marital status, national origin, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, military status, status as a veteran, or any other protected characteristic. GPC’s policy is to recruit, hire, train, promote, assign, transfer and terminate employees based on their own ability, achievement, experience and conduct and other legitimate business reasons