Leadperson – Group Leader
The leadperson is responsible for managing a shift at the cross dock while maintaining the company standards for safety, quality, efficiency, cost, service and delivery, training and development and housekeeping. The leadperson must complete the various company and government forms utilized in freight movement such as loading/unloading manifests, freight bills, outbound manifests, etc. The leadperson will also be responsible for using the Mcleod operating system to monitor shipment locations as freight moves through the various terminals while communicating continuously throughout the day with associates, customers and team members verbally and through other computer operating systems. Leadspersons assists in the loading and unloading of freight in a timely manner utilizing the appropriate motorized and manual equipment and by hand as needed. Maximizing workers efficiency through communications and training to help promote RMDS profitability.
- In addition to the duties listed below employee is also expected to perform any additional duties as assigned by management and to adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Monitor and evaluate the safety of each employee on a daily basis.
- Monitor and evaluate the safe and efficient loading and unloading process of freight throughout the shift.
- Monitor and maintain housekeeping within the shift to ensure safety and productivity.
- Manages and assigns task employees in the area to ensure proper utilization and development of the team members while meeting customer expectations.
- Closely works with the Operations Manager to ensure alignment in meeting daily/weekly/monthly and yearly business objectives.
- Provide analyses, suggestions and ideas for the improvement of operations within the shift, department and facility.
- Provide feedback to employees on a continual basis.
- Conduct daily inspections to ensure compliance with local, state and federal safety regulations, as well as OSHA compliance, and DOT compliance.
- Ensures that 100% of trailers are loaded correctly to ensure safe transport of freight.
- Inspects trailers throughout the day for cleanliness and to ensure correct loading/unloading techniques are being used.
- Operates Mcleod, Microsoft Outlook and any other computer/internal freight monitoring systems used within the company to monitor freight movement.
- Complete forklift job training knowledge and uses a forklift as necessary
- Conducts daily shift meetings
- Make quick and informed decisions based on the volume levels and communicates schedule to affected employees.
- Inspects working conditions of tools and equipment needed for safe operation within the area and directs the correction of any improper or adverse condition that exists.
- Comprehends and ensures compliance with company and government regulations.
- Works assigned shift/s as needed, must be available to work additional days/shifts as necessary
- Minimum of one year dock/warehouse Lead experience in the transportation industry.
- Prior forklift experience in a freight / less than truckload environment preferred.
- Prior experience loading and unloading trailers preferred.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Highly motivated individual with attention to detail.
- Ability to count and perform basic math, with or without a calculator.
- Basic written and verbal communication skills (documentation, communication with peers, supervisors, etc.)
- Ability to bend, twist, squat, pushing/pulling freight throughout shift.
- Ability to follow instructions and complete required training.
- Ability to work independently and/or as a team member.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.
- Pass a company paid Post Offer Pre-Hire screen (physical essential functions) test.
- Previous Experience: Previous supervisory experience preferred
About R.M.D.S.: R.M.D.S. provides domestic trucking services for all GPC Subsidiaries and many supply partners. In addition, the division provides services and support nationwide, including Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada, with international freight management for all GPC Subsidiaries. Headquartered in Atlanta, it operates out of seven (7) cross dock facilities (Atlanta, GA; Indianapolis, IN; Hancock, MD; Memphis, TN; Ontario, CA, Kent, WA and Salt Lake City, UT). It operates a fleet of roughly 125 Tractors and over 600 Trailers.
All OTR power units are equipped with satellite tracking systems (Qualcomm). The fleet travels over 14 million miles annually and hauls over 520,000,000 lbs. Over 210 men and women make up the RMDS team, including 120+ drivers and 75+ shipping employees.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.